Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance
You must complete this online
1. Go to www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis/public/home
2. Click on “Create a new account”.
3. It will send you to a page
entitled “Create a Keystone ID” with general info on it. Scroll to the bottom and click “Next”.
4. Follow the instructions on
the web page. You will need to create a user ID. Each person does their own and
you will need to do 3 security questions and answers. (I would suggest making
note of the answers you gave to the security questions.)
5. When you click “Finished,” you will receive
an email from the state to the email address you put in your registration.
(This takes approximately 5 minutes.) In the email they will give you a
temporary password. You can log back in and change the password to one of your choices.
Now you are ready to log on for the child abuse background check.
6. Now you can “Log In” (log in again using your ID
and password that you created). The page will ask you: what do you want to do
today? Click on the box that says, “Access my
7. This will bring you to a page
that says Learn More. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “Continue”.
8. Now you will be able to put
your username and password in the boxes.
9. Click on “Create Clearance Application”.
10.Fill in all the information
that they have requested. (Make sure that you highlight “Volunteer” as your reason
for filling this out. This will allow you to get it for free.)
11. Near the end you will come
to a point where you need to pay. Because you are volunteering you will not be
required to pay. It will ask if the organization you are volunteering for
provided a code for your application. Just click “No”.
12. Finish the application
following all of their instructions.
13.When you have completed and
submitted the form, they will send you an email that it is complete. (This can
take anywhere from 5 minutes to days!)
14. Within a few weeks they will
send you an email with the results. You can also choose to have them send you a
paper copy in the mail.
15. When YOU receive the results
via email, please forward a copy of the
results to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.